Just one hundred pair of earrings. Only 100, well 200 pieces. That’s all! It didn’t seem too nutty at the time, and doesn’t now that I’m almost finished either. It was a pretty big commitment for a really cool opportunity that I’ll let you know more about pretty soon. After cutting and shaping the first 150 or so, I began to wonder if a pendant might have been a wiser choice with only needing half as many pieces… Well, by then it was a little late to turn back. I was into a good rhythm by then! After drying, I cleaned them up and carved my initials into the back of each piece, getting them ready for the kiln.I was so happy that they all fit on 2 shelves in my new, super cute little kiln! There was even a little space for a couple of new sample shapes.Fresh from the kiln. Ready for glazing! I decided on two glaze styles, because as most of my friends have learned, decision making is sometimes a challenge for me. At least I was able to narrow it down to two, as I would like to see these in lots of colors and glaze styles. Glazed pieces waiting for more for their second firing. Only a hundred or so to go! Success! I’m always a little apprehensive that when I open the kiln (the large kiln this time) because, sometimes a nasty surprise awaits. This time as it most often is, I’m really happy with the result.You might have been wondering why this post began with the photo of a shell on the beach. I made a press mold from a Knobbed Whelk shell that I found on an early morning to watch my first sunrise over the Atlantic. It was a beautiful sight!Until next time…
Follow Blog via Email
Follow along to see what's happening in the workshop!